Rice University logo

Top blue bar image
My thoughts on the Rice experience

Thanking the 2011-2012 Student Presidents

On Monday, I had my last two meetings at lunch and in the evening with the 2011-2012 SA and college presidents.  I will very much miss working with each and every one of them, individually and as a group.  Their accomplishments this year have made what I predict will be a lasting impact on Rice student life and academics.

More generally, their work is a reminder of how important effective student leadership is to our university community.  Many of the aspects of Rice that students, faculty and staff appreciate most and take for granted are only possible because of the hard work of student leaders.  These students are willing to give their time and energy, to have and to share a vision of how things might be improved at Rice, and to display the courage to face the criticism of those who do not share that vision.

So, the next time you see one of these student presidents be sure to thank them for what they have contributed to Rice and to you.  And for those of you who will remain students at Rice next year, consider the ways in which you can serve in a leadership role to help move Rice into the future or the ways in which you can support those who do.